Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Maria Collin's Linen Weave

Here is the latest offering from the loom. I've left the other end out of the photo as I haven't finished sorting out the heading and knotting the fringe yet. I'm hoping that when this baby blanket is washed it will tighten up a fraction and the pattern might show a bit more. It is woven in a boucle wool, not linen and with quite a loose sett, so the pattern is not so obvious as it appears in Porter Davison's book. It is on a thousand flowers threading, sample II in the book. There is still plenty of warp left on the loom, I might try sample V next, which is a honeycomb structure. Such fun.

I ordered a special darning foot for my sewing machine from the internet last night. Machine embroidery was what I'd originally intended to have a try at when I first got interested in textiles summer 2005. My first attempts were poor but maybe with the proper foot I might meet with more success.

I also want to learn to spin using a drop spindle that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching show. What a shame I have to go to work, cook meals, clean the house (occasionally) - more time is required, or at least more efficiency.

4 Comments:

  • At 02 November, 2006 14:58, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is this the baby blanket? It doesn't look very baby like - should it not be pink/blue/yellow? Or am I old fashioned?

    Other than that it is a beautiful blanket. I am getting very excited about my christmas present.

     
  • At 25 November, 2006 03:09, Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said…

    good picture

     
  • At 25 November, 2006 16:47, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have just read your blog thingy after such a long time as I had a spare moment or two in rainy dark November in CORNWALL (Bude). It seems you have an ecletic taste in just about everything from books to music to art forms. I have never heard of half the things you describe but I am most impressed. I think your overpowering hatred of everything car-related is coming across very strongly however. They are not all bad, though I drive an old banger myself.
    R from Bude.

     
  • At 14 December, 2006 16:09, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    elizabeth - you are old fashioned.

    jamesee - je vous remercie.

    R from Bude - I thought your car was very modern and I appreciate that cars are often necessary nowadays - but not always.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home