Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Friday, September 29, 2006

An immoderate number - who made all the photocopies?

Our very efficient school secretary said to me this morning, "Guess how many photocopies our primary school makes each quarter."

I guessed at 18,000. Actually, it was 60, 000. That's nigh on a quarter of a million copies annually. I think that's dreadful, and there's really no excuse, especially as each classroom has its own "interactive whiteboard". The teachers could easily project the worksheet (or whatever) onto the screen and the children could write any answers in their books. I said the teachers should be banned from using the photocopier and only letters going out to parents should be allowed to be reproduced. That would go down well in the staffroom. Ha! If only I was the boss, things would be a lot different.

I told her that I would put this on my blog. She said, "What's a blog?"

3 Comments:

  • At 03 October, 2006 14:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This reminds me of a popular song - 'If I ruled the world, everyday would be the first day of spring...' and now will annoy colleagues by singing it.

    But you're right. The waste this office gets through is awful, and there isn't even any recyling going on (brought it up once but confidentiality was thrown at me). We all do our bit at home but its businesses and schools that cause the most waste

     
  • At 08 October, 2006 16:07, Blogger Nick said…

    Irene - tread carefully! The annals of blogging are full of stories of people who have mentioned to work colleagues that they blog - and found that reactions can be short on understanding . . .

     
  • At 13 October, 2006 23:35, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Elizabeth - how often it is said, "Whatever happened to the paperless office?"! I'm sure you are doing your bit for the green idea, and I certainly try to but I don't see my neighbours doing their bit - they all seem hell-bent on destroying the planet as far as I can tell.

    Nick - I would never divulge my blog address to people at work. I think as long as they don't read it they won't think any less of me. (As if that were possible!). But thank you for your sage advice - I shall continue with my nom de plume).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home