Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

And for my next trick .........


This is the widest warp I've attempted - at 30 inches. It is sett at 16 ends per inch. I was a bit unsure about the sett (as usual) because it is going to be another overshot project. The overshot pattern is on twill liftings but the alternate picks in the warp-weight yarn are in tabby (plainweave). Twill needs to be sett at two thirds and plainweave is half (that is winding the warp round a ruler for an inch and counting the threads. I didn't know if I should count this as twill or tabby, but in the end I chose tabby as that's not so many ends to wind and also I thought that is what will make the bulk of the cloth - the overshot is just the pattern, floating over the plainweave.

I will let you know how it turns out. You can see I am about to start winding the warp on to the back beam. And that raddle is one I MADE ALL MYSELF. It is 36" long with nails at a half-inch spacing and I am so proud. It has only very short nails so I am using elastic bands as a lid instead of string.

I intend to make a baby blanket for a friend who is expecting an arrival in two weeks. So there is a challenge for both of us. I am going to try the Mary Ann Ostrander pattern which is on 60 ends - handy as I have 480 ends. (Now you're jealous, but don't be).

2 Comments:

  • At 08 September, 2006 17:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my goodness... a weaver!

    I shall return when I have more time - the work I've just quickly glanced at look swonderful.

     
  • At 09 September, 2006 20:27, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Blue Witch - thank you so much for your kind comment - I believe you are a spinner. I've only been weaving since March but I do my best.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home