Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Hello? Anyone in?

Maybe nobody noticed but I've been away, seemed like a year... the problem was that my secret spy counter thingy that told me how many visitors this blog has was taken away. I then had a load of trouble trying to install a replacement. I had not realised how important knowing that someone actually looks at the blog was to my writing it. I got demoralised and disaffected, just like a teenager smoking dope down the park (although of course I did not do this, I just didn't write my blog). However ... Today Mr HC installed broadband and I thought I'd have another go. Lo and behold, I actually managed to install the statistics button on the blog, so now I'm all keen again.

Another reason for not blogging is that I've been busy with my crafty current obsession - TEXTILES. (I really must show you the digital photos I took of my embroidery - you'll be fascinated - and hopefully pictures will download much quicker now).

I've done a few tentative felt-making projects and have been encouraged enough to agree to hold a felt making birthday party for my twelve-year old and her little friends next week. I will let you know how it goes.

The best thing, though, is my discovery of RAG RUG making. I was in the library last week looking for a book about felt-making (which I failed to find) and stumbled across some books on rag rug making (should have been looking where I was going). I don't know what it was but I was immediately inspired and I have now got (via the internet) some hessian and a very lovely rag rug hook made from turned yew and brass. At the weekend I was star purchaser at a jumble sale in Wallingford and now have half a sideboard stuffed with ruined wool jumpers, tatty curtains and men's suit jackets - I've even got a beautiful Harris tweed jacket which I'm trying to give to a man with a 42 inch chest, otherwise I shall have to take my scissors to it and incorporate it into my rug (the jacket, that is, not the chest, silly).

I feel entirely inspired, enthusiastic and ambitious about this new project. I see the making of a rug from rags as a very positive, creative activity. You can get some very strong, wonderful colours from hooking a patterned fabric, and the results can be like a painting with texture. Almost sculptural. I will keep you informed.

5 Comments:

  • At 23 November, 2005 00:00, Blogger Nick said…

    As chance would have it, the labels within my suit jackets seem to concur on '42', though heaven knows whether this refers to chest size or not . . . could mean anything really. . .

     
  • At 23 November, 2005 19:55, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    You've been at that HRT cake, haven't you?

     
  • At 27 November, 2005 14:09, Blogger Jackie said…

    It is so exciting to hear about someone else discovering the art of rug making. I say ART because it is art....not like buying pom poms and googly eyes hot glue to make junk. Did you by chance buy your hook from Heather Ritchie? I have 2 Ritchie hooks...rather extravagant....they are very expensive here in Canada...but lovely to use. As far as books go you might look for Rag Rugs by JuJu Vail.....
    although she does recommend putting latex on the back side which is something we don't do here.
    As far as the jacket goes...if it is lovely wool then use it...but I find most jackets require too much time and effort for the small amount of wool you get from them. I will still buy them but they have to be good Harris Tweed or forget it. No hooking for me today...I have to dye wool for my next project.....

     
  • At 28 November, 2005 22:52, Blogger Nick said…

    HRT cake? Never touched a morsel of it, honest . . .

     
  • At 29 November, 2005 22:08, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Jackie, lovely to hear from you. I don't know who made my rug hook but I have taken a photo of it and put it on this site.

    I have seen some of JuJu Vail's beautiful work in a book by Juliet Bawden.

    I would like to have a go at dyeing my own fabric but I think that will have to be something for the not very near future. I like the idea of using natural dyes from plants and experimenting with alum and iron as mordants to start with.

    Will you be putting some photos of your work on your blog?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home