Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ring of Tatters

Not, as I first imagined, a reference to an earnest and important Irish playwright; nor yet an Indian manege; BUT a society of women who tat. Quite fascinating to watch tatting being done by an expert tatter. They hold the special tatting shuttle in one hand and the end of the thread in the other and hey presto! an exquisitely intricate lacy material is constructed.

You will have guessed no doubt that I'm remembering my day at the knitting and sewing exhibition.

The other craft that really caught my eye was weaving. I could just imagine a beautiful old loom (second-hand ones go for about £250 - £500) standing in the corner of my room with my current project, a beautiful lacy design done on a complicated and fascinating arrangement of warp and weft progressing rapidly under my expert shuttling skills. I think one day I shall book myself on a week's residential course to learn the principles of weaving. I shall make that my next project.

I'll tell you a bit more later. But people are asking me what time's tea so I'd better get on.

2 Comments:

  • At 20 October, 2005 15:11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Irene, your day out sounds fascinating. I do like to have friends who are good at things, not being good at much myself. The week's weaving course does sound like a good idea though, I could do with a new carpet.

    I have decided that next year I will grow some herbs. Had to buy some thyme the other day and was horrified at having to pay 86p for a few sprigs. I shall be asking for your advice when the time comes (or is the time now??)

     
  • At 21 October, 2005 15:51, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Elizabeth-

    thyme and tide wait for no man. Herbs are very easy to grow. They like poor soil and difficult environments so your garden should be ideal. (Only joking, of course. Put some cuttings or seeds in pots of compost on your windowsill, you may have luck even at this time of year. The basil is still in leaf here although it is covered in greenfly.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home