Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Web's a wonder.


This is the first piece I have woven on my new big loom. I am pretty relieved that the dear old thing actually works and I quite like the patterns on this, my first eight shaft weave.

It did not quite turn out as expected. The learning curve was just a trifle too steep for me. I intended a chequerboard pattern with squares of about one inch but instead I got tiny squares of maybe a quarter of an inch.

The mistake occurred because the double weave pattern I had chosen was for only one unit and I should have combined the units when threading up the heddles to make a bigger square. At least I think that's the problem.

On the whole I think this first warp is a success - given that it was my first stab at:
countermarch
eight shafts
and double weave.

I haven't the least idea what to do with the fabric - it was just a sacrificial warp of unfavourite yarns whose colours I thought went well together that I put on for my initial set-up. I shall carry on mucking about with it and probably change the tie up when my texsolv cord arrives.

So, onwards and upwards, to infinity ... and beyond.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 20 March, 2007 19:06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That looks very impressive!
    Wish you lived nearer as I'd love some lessons.

     
  • At 21 March, 2007 14:57, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I on the other hand don't want to learn and am quite happy for you to carry on being the artistic one...

    However, had you thought of giving lessons????

     
  • At 23 March, 2007 16:23, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Thank you bw and e. I feel flattered that you could imagine me as a weaving teacher, but I can assure you I am far too ignorant of the weaving process to advise others. I just muddle along as best I can and hope for the best.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home