Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Weaving with a rolling pin.


I was leafing through Ann Sutton's book, "The Structure of Weaving" and saw a photo of some weaving that had been distorted by insinuating a bit of broom handle through some of the warp behind the heddles. This tightened those warp threads and left the others much looser. The warp threads were tightened and loosened at intervals and I liked the interesting texture the resultant cloth took on.

My efforts are less pleasing. Maybe they will look better when I take the cloth off the loom. It is difficult to govern the extent of the distortion.

I was looking for something to do with a plainweave threading. I'm still plodding through the long long warp I put on and now I'm thinking about how nice it would be to get on to my new loom. Perhaps long warps are not for me. They are very efficient of your time, but there is a case for leaving efficiency to mechanised weaving. I am anxious to get on to the next thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home