Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

French versus Runner

The French have won.

This year I have not planted any runner beans but I have planted two lots of climbing French beans. This is my attempt at successional sowing. They were planted in pots at two week intervals but the last lot was put in three weeks ago, so you see my standards are already slipping. And to be honest the second lot were planted by my twelve year old under-gardener. She also put in the second lot of Mange-tout, or sugar-snap peas, which are my all-time favourite as long as I remember to pick them before they get too big.

This week I came very close to buying a greenhouse. I've been thinking about this since 1999 now and I've chickened out again. I've been waiting so long that now I think that only the best will do for me. I would love a Hartley 10x8 but they are stupidly expensive so I thought I would go for a Rhino as they seem really good and you can get all the staging etc and it would still be cheaper than a Hartley. But then I thought it would still be stupidly expensive for a greenhouse and the money would go quite a long way to a week in Venice in October on the train for the four of us which is what I'm hankering for as well.

3 Comments:

  • At 21 May, 2006 12:50, Blogger Nick said…

    Percy Thrower was once asked his advice on the planting of runner beans. "Well," he said. "The most important thing is, make sure you plant them in a straight line." "Why's that?" his disciple enquired. The great man smiled benevolently at the simplicty of his questioner. "That way, none of them runners gets an unfair start . . .".
    Mind you, these days they're probably all on steroids . . .

     
  • At 21 May, 2006 12:52, Blogger Nick said…

    May I suggest the Hartley, and a holiday in the Lake District?

     
  • At 21 May, 2006 18:48, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    If I didn't have to go to school I would go to Cockermouth next month for the Wool Fest.

    I'm convinced I would prefer Cumbria to Venice but I think I'd be outvoted by the rest of the family.

    By the way, I didn't mention the reason for my preference for the French - they don't need de-stringing - just their heads chopped off.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home