Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Don't do this at home

What's happening to Blue Peter? My children watch this programme and just occasionally I wander in to the room and catch the odd snippet of Matt and Konnie and Liz and funny Welsh name Gethyn, is it? and new girl Zoe's goings-on.

Firstly there are five presenters. Well that's not right. Traditionally there have only ever been three. Secondly, the show seems to have got very glamorous, fashionable, trendy, etc etc, - all descriptives that should have nothing to do with this institution. I was a viewer throughout my childhood and still use my signed photo of Simon Groom, Lesley Judd and (my favourite) Christopher Wenner, as a bookmark. There was never any danger of the programme being "hip" - that was left to ITV's "Magpie".

The unavoidable fact is, Blue Peter has decided to become sexy - with the on-screen flirtation between Zoe and Gethyn. Zoe is a very beautiful and charming blond girl (but with a horrible growly voice like a female Ian Paisley) who we have seen enjoying a sauna and relaxing massage while wearing a tiny bikini. She has also taken up the challenge to take a bath in green jelly, though she kept her clothes on for that - this ended up like a cross between mud wrestling and a wet T-shirt competition. In another feature Zoe, surprisingly, was spared the job of waxing Gethyn's chest hair - a stunt which would probably have terrified younger viewers (I watched, transfixed, setting the table ready for our tea). Konnie and Liz, wearing rubber gloves, held the half-naked Welshman down on a leather couch and daubed him with hot wax which they used to render his upper body bald.

I ask you - what are things coming to? I am a very infrequent viewer of Blue Peter, yet I have witnessed all the above. John and Valerie were never like this.

1 Comments:

  • At 24 December, 2005 23:03, Blogger Nick said…

    I blame the influence from beyond the grave of that notorious blonde-chasing Lothario Christopher Trace . . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home