Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Rug update

The end is in sight now, I've got another fourteen inches to go. Then I shall have a 3' x 5' rug.

This picture is not very good, actually as the mustard and the lime both look the same whereas they are quite distinct from each other in reality.

The rug is using up a tremendous amount of weft. I am putting in thirty-two picks an inch, using two strands of Axminster rug wool at a time. So that is sixty-four strands an inch. It will be lovely and heavy and thick (hopefully!).

The reed is a metric one so it is a bit tricky to say what the sett is. I have threaded the warp alternately single and double in the heddles and the dents. At just over 36" there are 280 dents and 140 working ends. There are about 7.5 dents in every inch, or 3 for every centimetre, so my ends per inch works out at between 3 and 4.

I have used a floating selvedge of 3 warp ends. The warp is linen rug warp from Fibrecrafts and is a good beige colour that I think goes well with everything. In future I plan to use 100% Berber rug wool for the weft that I have dyed myself, but that will be a very big project!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home