Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

First rug



I have nearly finished this, my first rug. It is on a linen 10/6 warp with a two-ply rug wool weft used two-fold. It is in a broken 2/2 twill - two colours ABABA repeat and I have managed to get about 31 picks per inch. I was happy with that because Peter Collingwood says to get up to 40 ppi at this setting but with a straight twill. The broken twill has more interlacements I believe, and I also think my warp is thicker than the one he was describing, so I'm calm.

I had no end of trouble, as usual, and at one point had to resort to re-tying all the ends (see picture) because the back stick was at an angle. The front and back sticks are galvanised metal water pipe that won't bend and are very heavy.

I'll tell you more later, but I'm going to try and finish this today. Must dash. Speak to you soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 06 June, 2007 12:06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But is it finished in time for the wedding??

     
  • At 06 June, 2007 14:11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 18 June, 2007 16:48, Blogger Roggey said…

    I love the wee arrow looking pattern. I'm trying to do that with some mittens I want to knit later this summer.

     
  • At 20 June, 2007 19:48, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Elizabeth, yes it was, but I was still doing the final plaits on the morning of the wedding.

    Roggey - I wonder how easy it will be to knit diagonals. No doubt you must have perfect tension.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home