Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Boundweave in opposites


and on a rosepath threading.

This was supposed to be a bag but it didn't quite turn into one so I've sewn it all up and now it's a cushion (and popular with our Jack Russell). It has a linen warp and rug wool weft. I think it could have been a rug if I had got the right sort of loom. Such a loom would be a big countermarche floor loom, I believe. I wonder how difficult they are to work.

2 Comments:

  • At 15 April, 2009 16:01, Anonymous Tim said…

    Big countermarche looms are somewhat more difficult to tie up, but make the work of weaving rugs so much easier that the extra labor in the tie is of no consequence.

    As many rugs are done on four shafts, one can even use Peter Collingwoods "universal tie-up," which gives all fourteen possible sheds on eight treadles.

    Nice work!

    Tim

     
  • At 16 April, 2009 21:49, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    Well, Tim - Thank you for your comment. I am now, in fact, the proud owner of a big countermarche loom and have woven four rugs on it. I'm just starting the fifth today. (Four end block draft, I shall post photos when I've woven some).
    The loom is a Cyrus, eight shafts and probably dates from the 1940s or 1950s. I am very happy with it, although I spent the morning changing the tie-up, and almost breaking my back in the process. I have not tried the universal tie-up, maybe I will.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home