Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Cicely Brown - the rascal

I'd been reading about this young lady (as my granny was born with the same name as her).

She's got her first big exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in Oxford and i'ts all great big pictures of people caught in flagrante delicto, but you'd never guess, except in two of the paintings, because her painting style is rather to daub. Needless to say, there are a lot of flesh tones and then there are a lot of greens as most of the lovers seem to be outdoors enjoying the countryside.

I think the artist could have made some very powerful evocations of different aspects of the human condition that might have been more relevant and telling for the viewer - maybe subjects like, famine, immigration, war, religioun etc, and maybe her chosen topic was chosen as an easy way to shock and provoke attention. But maybe that's just me being old and tutting. My friend Tone thought they were jolly good (my words not his).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home