Hamble Campbell's Home Page

An occasional window on Hamble Campbell's world.

Monday, October 11, 2004

There was a young man from St Bees ....

Good and gentle reader,

Unaccustomed as I am to public posting, I shall nevertheless endeavour to set out my thoughts to you in this little blog.

It has been a long and eventful day, culminating dramatically in the discovery of a hornet in a pair of tights. I am sure you will be relieved to learn, sweet reader, that they were not my hose - nor was I wearing them at the time. I had merely brought them in from the washing line to be aired and I was alarmed by a frantic buzzing emanating from the laundry.

I believe the hornet to be one of nature's dustmen. I have released him into the garden to get on with the business of clearing away the rotten windfalls that surround my Beauty of Bath.

Sleep well my dear, Hamble.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12 October, 2004 19:39, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A new star has dawned in the blogging firmament. Well done Hamble - a promising start. I myself have experienced unwanted attention from insects and your comments certainly struck a chord.

    Keep up the good work.

    Tarquin Farquar-Smythe, (ex Ampleforth)

     
  • At 12 October, 2004 19:40, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A new star has dawned in the blogging firmament. Well done Hamble - a promising start. I myself have experienced unwanted attention from insects and your comments certainly struck a chord.

    Keep up the good work.

    Tarquin Farquar-Smythe, (ex Ampleforth)

     
  • At 10 August, 2006 08:33, Blogger Irene Adler said…

    For the record, I think the whole limerick is:

    There was a young man from St Bees
    who was stung on the arm by a wasp
    When they asked, "Does it hurt?"
    He replied, "No it doesn't.
    Thank goodness it wasn't a hornet."

    I read this in David Crystal's "Wordplay" a few years ago now so my memory may be imperfect. I believe it is from a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. You'll have to go and look it up if you are interested. But that limerick always makes my laugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home